January 29, 2015

Where can you go to do your taxes for free? What are the income limitations?

2 thoughts on “January 29, 2015”

  1. Garrett Haag says:

    The IRS has a website with information on how to file for free for lower income people, at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers. You can have your taxes done for free if you income is below $53,000. The VITA program is what provides the help with the income tax preparation. The volunteer income tax assistance program. You should not pay someone to do your taxes, you can use the online tools to do it yourself and either do it for free or a few dollars if you end up in the higher income brackets. The program will walk you through doing your taxes for the most part and will tell you what to look up if you dont know a part.

  2. Mike Finley says:

    Well said, Garrett. Let’s review.

    (1) You can go to the site Garrett stated above to do your own taxes (many providers are offered) at little or no cost.

    (2) For people with simple tax returns, this is a very easy process and you will learn plenty as you go through it.

    (3) When your situation becomes more complicated, you might consider a certified public accountant.

    (4) DO NOT just take your tax stuff and give it to some buy at Wal-Mart or elsewhere. This makes you dependent on someone else when you could be that person for yourself AND you will save money in doing it.

    (5) For you Vanguard clients who make too much for the free IRS service, they offer turbotax at a reduction in costs. Sign in and you should see the option.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Crazy Man in the Pink Wig