March 26, 2014

When you leave an employer, take your retirement plan with you. How do you do this without incurring penalties or paying taxes?

2 thoughts on “March 26, 2014”

  1. Garrett Haag says:

    You would do this by having Vanguard or a different financial institution of your choice if you dont like vanguard for some odd reason request a VDRF from vanguard, the name may vary with the institution but this is the one Vanguard uses, once you go through vanguard they do the work and you have very little to worry about if you have it done wire transfers, if you have it done by check you may run in to some issues with losing it or similar human error problems on your part.

  2. Mike Finley says:

    Well said, Garrett. Let’s review.

    When you leave an employer, it is usually wise to take your retirement plan (401k, 403b, TSP, 457) with you. I am with Garrett. Keep this simple and select one or more no-load index mutual funds at Vanguard when deciding where to put the money. The process does not have to be difficult. To learn more on this subject, go here:

    This process can be a bit tedious so just stick with it and check the boxes as you go along. When in doubt, give Vanguard a call and clarify matters as needed. Take control. It is YOUR money!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Crazy Man in the Pink Wig